19/05/2019

Altın Gün - Şad Olup Gülmedim / Cemalım (Live on KEXP)





Cemalım

Be happy Ürgüp for you won't be burning (Tells the town not to be burdened down by his death)
My horse won't stay at Cem's mansion (The ones who remain (herself, her son) won't feel at home at another place/with someone else)
Your son is too young he won't be able to fill your place (Their son is too young to face up to the challenges of life)

My Cemal My Cemal you were strong My Cemal
Now you are left bloodied My Cemal

They saw me leaving Ürgüp
They knew it was me from the spots on my horse's leg(s)
They have decided to kill me

My Cemal My Cemal you were strong My Cemal
Now you are left bloodied My Cemal


As for the story, it was apparently first sung by a woman named Şerife in Ürgüp who married a wealthy man liked by almost everyone called Cemal. But after a couple of years, he was killed in a treacherous attack. His death saddened everyone in town and she was left alone with her son